Søren Berg Glasius Nerd by Nature.
I am a versatile developer, who likes coding the backend systems, and loves making frontend experiences for the user.
I work as a Groovy and Grails expert and consultant, working for Gennemtænkt IT clients.
I can take on Groovy and Grails jobs, ranging from greenfield projects, through Grails 3 upgrades, and extending and maintaining existing Grails projects.
I have experience with writing Grails plugins and I am author of or contributing to several open source plugins.
GR8Conf was started by Guillaume Laforge (Groovy Lead Developer) and me in 2009, and it takes place annually in Copenhagen, Denmark.
It is one of my careers highlights. Together with the crew I have managed to build a solid brand in the Groovy and Grails community. Each year we have between 120 and 200 attendees.
I am officially the CEO of GR8 ApS and before the conference some of my tasks are:
- Develop graphical identity Primary done in Adobe Illustrator and PhotoShop
- Printed material
- Conference videos post-processing
- Coordinating crew efforts
- Coordinate presentations and keeping contact with speakers
- Raise money from sponsors
- Run the actual conference
In the previous years the conference has brought some of the brightest minds in the Groovy Ecosystem to Denmark:
- Guillaume Laforge Groovy project lead
- Jochen Theodorou Groovy project developer
- Graeme Rocher Grails project lead
- Jeff Scott Brown Grails project lead
- Andres Almiray Griffon project lead
- Jürgen Höller SpringFramework project lead
- Peter Ledbrook Grails project evangelist
- Burt Beckwith Grails project contributor
- Dierk König "Groovy In Action" author
- Paul King "Groovy In Action" co-author
- Hans Dockter Gradle CEO
- Peter Niederwieser Core Gradle lead
Most of the planing takes place in my spare time.
In the context of GR8Conf I also teach courses in Groovy & Grails on a regular basis. The course is hands-on, and the material is developed by myself.
Software Engineer with speciality in Groovy and Grails.
Working on client projects, upgrading Grails 2.x applications to Grails 3, implementing new features
Advocates Grails by writing blogs, developing Grails plugins, and speaking at conferences and user-group meetings.
- Help client with migrating large Grails 2.x application to Grails 3.x
- Lead developer on implementing Identity Management Suite for large higher educational institution in California
- Architecting and implementing RestFULL APIs for front end applications (in Grails)
- Implementing user facing UIs (in Grails, Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery)
- Develop plugins for Grails applications
- Integration to LDAP, Kerberos and OpenIDM
- Data modeling
- CI and deployment management
- Consulting and sparing for Identity Management startup in California
Working for the Identity Management Team (CalNet).
Architect and developer of self-service and administrative web applications, developed in Groovy and Grails.
Co-architect and developer on Berkeley Person Registry, an Identity Management Platform also developed in Groovy and Grails
Template for applications
Common Grails plugin to skin all administrative application to give common look and feel
CAS Authentication module
Module to give common login for all Grails application using CAS for authentication and LDAP for authorization
Self service application for employees to create and invite guests users.
Wifi and Google Apps credential application
Self service application to handle users Wifi and Google Apps credentials when logged in through CAS
Berkeley Person Registry
Replacement for the current (15 year old) identity management suite. New application written in Groovy and Grails.
I worked as a consultant, where I created software in Java, Groovy, Grails, ESB, jBPM, Spring Framework, Integration.
I have developed and taught a four days hands-on course in Groovy and Grails.
Grails project to support health monitoring for people with spinal cord injury or brain injury.
Teaching four days course in Groovy and Grails. Hands-on training. Own developed course material
Silverbullet / OpenTele
OpenTele is a tele-medicine platform that can be used to do remote monitoring of patients. The project has an Android tablet frontend, and a Grails UI and backend.
Developer on www.signaturfornyer.dk, a system to store and renew digital signatures, ssl certificates and more. Developed in Grails.
Energi Midt A/S
Maintain and develop new functionality on integration platform (jBoss ESB, jBoss jBP, XML, Groovy, jUnit, Mockito, PowerMock)
Nets DanID A/S
Developer on the NemID platform (SpringFramework, Hibernate, SOAP, Web-services, OIO, jUnit, Mockito, Maven, jQuery)
The projects in this position were centered around Grails, and were primarily focused on the front-end and the user experience.
My job at Gennemtænkt IT involved
- Development of system to handle large amounts of route-planing data.
- Front-end development with jQuery and jQuery mobile.
- Working with GIS information GUI.
- Improving the look & feel of customer-facing application.
- Development of HTML5 application for tablets.
- Development of systems for communication between systems.
The work was telecommuting, with a weekly trip to the office.
Started as a freelance developer on 1 March 2007. Likes to work with assignments, where many technologies have to fit together. Have experience in working with Groovy, Grails, JSE, JEE, XML, XSLT, XSD, Struts, JSP, JMS, MQ, JDBC, Hibernate and other Java-related technologies.
Working from home or at customers site.
GR8Conf Europe 2009 and GR8Conf Europe 2010
GR8Conf are a series of developer-driven conferences, covering Groovy, Grails, Griffon and other great technologies. The idea for the conference was conceived by Guillaume Laforge and I in early 2009.
The first edition was held in Copenhagen with great success: over 100 attendees from 17 countries.
The conference in Europe is organized by the Danish JUG (Javagruppen.dk)
Gennemtænkt IT is a small Groovy and Grails based company in Denmark. They were looking for an experienced Grails developer to help with advanced UI design, Ajax'ification of a web-application and backend Grails development.
HighPulse Gaming hired me to do a web-based administration tool for their gaming platform. I choose Grails, because of the fast development cycle, the testing-capabilities and the large number of plugins available. The application was primarily an administration module for the game server
CSC Scandihealth A/S
Performance tuning integration platform for a JMS based EPR system. Development of data verification tools
Working on online universe, web-frontend (Struts), middle tier (J2EE and WebLogic, JMS, MQ, Web-services). Optimization and caching of middle-tier data.
Integration between Cobol system and Siebel (Date exchange from MQ Cobol format to XML/XSD)
Software Architect and Developer Forbruger-Kontakt, DK-2630 Taastrup
Framework development in Java, Client (Swing) Server (J2EE) application development. Setting up development, build, deploy and production environments.
Software Developer / Field Application Engineer SilverStream Software Danmark A/S, DK-1256 Kbh. K
Java development, WAP-Portal project
System consultant Munk Edb-Management A/S, DK-5260 Odense S
System consultant on Windows (NT/Terminal Server/Citrix), TCP/IP Network architect. Troubleshooting small and medium-sized computer and network installations.
Developer Terma Italia, I-21023 Besozzo, Italy
Delphi 3 development
IT-Staff / Supporter Various locations, DK
User support, Server and network configuration, Paradox-database programming. Staff education
Bachelor in Computer Systems Engineering University of Southern Denmark
Bjerringbro Gymnasium (High School) Bjerringbro, Denmark
Tuscarawas Valley High School (Exchange Year) Ohio, USA
Some of the things I value
- Personal education and development
- Professional colleagues
- High quality of work delivered
- Informal tone
- Time and space for family life
Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, DK-8680 Ry, Denmark.
- Married since 1994, Children: Boy from 1998, Girl from 2002
- March 2nd 1969